Saturday, January 5, 2008

2008 Annual JAH Holiday Tournament

Today at 4pm is the 30-entry tournament for family and friends. I've thrown everything I know out the window in preparation for this event. I have never gone deep in this thing, and am in need of a strategy. I'll be texting updates throughout the day.

First break: 3600/5000. AJs held up, 66, 99 did not improve. Folded all else.

Got my chips in good J8s board 278 TPGK + FD. Called by A6o and 7x that turned trips. Would have trippled up, but so glad it's over. We had to explain the rules and how to deal the flop nearly every hand for the first 3 levels. Can't even begin to blog the plays I saw. One guy tried to convince us that if you don't have enough chips to post a blind, you are forced out and your chips are forfeited into the pot without playing the hand. Another guy was shoving all in because he had dinner plans (A6o above). He kept hitting and was nearly CL until he actually just gave his chips back (handed them in) and left.

The value of this tournament is clearly seeing family and friends and enjoying some good food. The poker play is very loose.


Next stop: Showboat AC on January 11. Hoping to play the WSOP Circuit event at Caesars on March 7.


I've settled on an avatar. I'm going with Kaiser Wilhelm I, King of Prussia from 1861-1888 (see image above). My hairline is fast approaching his, and I have nearly as many medals in my collection from Eastern Europe. I'm not a fan of mustaches, but I like the rope thingy he's got going on. The avatar can be seen on PokerStars and CardPlayer forums.

No comments: