Friday, February 15, 2008

2008 Conshohocken Classic Preview

The Conshohocken Classic Poker Tournament is a premier 4 table venue showcasing some of the finest players in the greater Philadelphia area. It has been RESCHEDULED for February 16.

MAIN LINE POKER CLUB TO HAVE PLAYERS' LOUNGE

Come by and chat with any of the Main Line Poker Club regulars prior to the tournament and during breaks. We are sponsoring a lounge exclusively for our players. Look for us between tables 1 and 2, near the television and couches (If you reach the basketball toss, you've gone too far). We are happy to discuss a wide variety of topics, including poker, sports, stocks, or travel. Photo opportunities are available as time permits.

R.W. talks about his preparation for this event in December 2007.



The bracelet for the 2008 Conshohocken Winter Classic has arrived. W.E. stopped by to make sure it fits me. There are 35 links in it, one for each opponent that will fall by the wayside. It's engraved, yet too bright and shiny to be read with unprotected eyes. Sterling silver with a gold middle strand, signifying a continuous stream of races which must be won to wear it. The satchel signifies royalty and the exalted status that the winner will attain. Seems fit for a king - a King of Prussia perhaps.



The main event is tommorow. The anticipation is just too much to bear. We've increased the field to 40. I am in the final phase of selecting my tournament drinks. I will choose some subset of the following, and each has it's advantages:
1. Earl Grey tea. Clearly my longtime favorite since my brief stint in London. I will likely start off with this warm, morning drink.
2. Rockstar energy drink. This one is a question mark, since I have been getting good sleep thanks to Nyquil. If things blow up tonight, I'll use two of these to get me through the day (in addition to the Earl Grey, which is a given).
3. Orange Mango Nantucket Nectars. My new drink of choice. I'm not crazy about orange juice, but the mango addition is just perfect. A smooth blast of vitamin C, great for morning but equally as enjoyable anytime if served cold. I will certainly have one of these on hand. The only downside is that the factoid under the cap is confined to Nantucket, so a lot of redundancy and not a lot of new information being added to my useless facts database. I can understand why Snapple has a larger market cap.



Problem: non-standard tournament colors.
Solution: custom-printed labels



[ ] S.M. DOES NOT DELIVER
[x] S.M. DELIVERS


Not only does the guy drive up from D.C. to play, but he also supplies the chips. This year he goes the extra mile to help avoid problems with non-standard tournament colors by printing labels and affixing them to the chips.

The field is impressive. Former winners S.H. and E.M. would attain instant Hall of Fame status with repeat victories. S.M. & I.B. are tearing up A/C, in fact, I.B. has abandoned tournaments in favor of ring games because his tournament victories are too numerous. Main Line Poker Club regulars M.B., B.S., B.D.,and J.S. continue their on-line success.

Me? I'm hoping to go the distance. I couldn't sleep the night before the main event, so I took a walk down to the venue and walked around, just like Rocky did when he noticed the promotional poster had his colors reversed. Sure enough, my promotional shot had the bracelet on my right wrist, when I clearly will wear it on my left. "Don't worry about it King," I could hear Mr. Jurgenson say, "I'm sure you'll give us a good show." A good show? He's right, who am I kidding. I can't go toe-to-toe with these giants. But if I could just go the distance and make the TV table, then I'll know I'm not just another bumb.

Actually my son woke me up at 3:30 and slipped into bed, then proceeded to wet. It never fails that before a big event, my sleep is interrupted. It looks like I'll be bringing two energy drinks rather than one.

No comments: